Our Vision: Burlington is a community that knows and celebrates its diverse cultural heritage, and plays an active role in building a better future for Burlington.
Our Mission: to inspire an appreciation of Burlington's past and its relevance to our present and future. We will do this through innovative sharing and collecting of Burlington's heritage and providing life long learning experiences.
- Respect and Inclusiveness - fostering trust, collaboration, appreciation and diversity.
- Leadership and Excellence - promoting integrity, initiative, high standards and program accountability.
- Scholarship and Professionalism - encouraging creativity, rigorous inquiry, documentation, communication and upholding ethical standards.
- Commitment and Responsibility - encouraging legal, ethical and fiscal accountability.
- Knowledge and Life Long Learning - promoting curiosity, discovery and teaching.
Built between 1835-1837, Ireland House at Oakridge Farm was the home of Joseph Ireland, one of Burlington's earliest settlers. Emigrating from Bowes, Yorkshire, England in 1819 at the age of 27, he petitioned for land at Oakridge Farm and so began a legacy that continues today. Joseph and his descendants occupied Ireland House until 1985. In 1987, the City of Burlington purchased the property from the estate of Lucie Marie Ireland Bush and established a museum, restoring the homestead to illustrate three distinct time periods that represent the generations of Irelands who lived in the house: 1850s, 1890s and 1920s. Ninety percent of the furnishings are original to the Ireland family thanks to a generous donation by Helen Ireland Caldwell, Marie's first cousin. Restorations of the house have reclaimed missing elements of former times, bringing the Museum back to its feeling of a period home and farm.
The property consists of 4 acres of woodland, gardens, potting shed, cottage/drive shed, and picnic areas. Tours of the property, living historical demonstrations, special events and educational programs are offered.
To learn more about the Ireland family members, click here.
Download our Annual Report here.
Download our Strategic Plan here.