Your tour through the Museum will introduce you to the life and times of three generations of the Ireland family, which the house has been restored to reflect. Built using fieldstone covered with a limestone-based mortar, this technique of parging allowed the house to remain in excellent condition even prior to restoration. Georgian styled with a central hall and stair plan, the house is symmetrical when viewed from the south facing front entrance. An addition to the original home occurred only ten years after construction, allowing an in-door privy, a summer kitchen and a thirty-five foot well. Sitting on nearly four acres the house is accompanied by two other original constructions: the Drive shed and Potting shed.
There are few existing records concerning Joseph Ireland (1792-1868). He was born in 1792 at Bowes, Yorkshire, England and was the 5th child of 8 born to Thomas (1753-1808) and Mary Fadden Ireland (1756-1836); he was baptized in the parish of Romaldkirk by Rev. Bligh.
Joseph arrived in Upper Canada in 1819 and petitioned for 100 acres of land. The following year, he purchased another 100 acres; between 1820-1847, Joseph purchased and acquired over 1000 acres of land. Joseph began construction of a family home in 1835, known today as Ireland House. The house was built of fieldstone with lime-based mortar; the house strongly resembles his family home in England. He completed the house in 1837, adding an addition in the early 1840s creating living quarters for hired hands and a room on the main floor.
John Ireland (1839-1904) was the first member of the family to be born in Ireland House and was the seventh child of eight born to Joseph and Ruth Ireland. He was named after an older brother who had died in 1829 at the age of 3.
George Ireland (1885-1972) was the 10th child of 12 born to John and Eliza Ireland. After his father's death in 1904, George bought Oakridge Farm from his siblings who were still living at home. He was a farmer, businessman and a member of the Holstein Breeders' Association.
Born on 14 SEPT 1923, Marie was the only child of George Ireland (1885-1972) and Lucy Davis Springer Ireland (1885-1938). Although always called Marie, she was baptized Lucie Marie at St. John's Anglican Church.